Did you know that frequent dental visits are more than simply a basic check-up for your gums and teeth? These dentist consultations include a painless oral cancer screening in Aventura, which only takes just several minutes to perform. Here we have compiled a couple of questions commonly asked by patients during an oral examination.
Oral Cancer Screenings: Frequently Asked Questions
What Happens During a Screening for Oral Cancer?
Your dentist checks the inside of your mouth for red or white discoloration spots. They will also feel for anomalies in your oral tissues, such as hard regions or lumps. The tissues surrounding your neck and jawline are often examined for signs of tumors or enlarged lymph nodes. A biopsy and a follow-up appointment will be planned if the dentist discovers anything odd during the initial examination.
What Are the Oral Cancer Risk Factors?
- Nutritional deficiencies. Oral cancer is increased when a person consumes a low amount of fruits and vegetables.
- Oral cancer is linked to the use of cigarettes and betel quid regularly.
- Oral cancer can strike anybody at any age, although it is more common in individuals over 55.
- Oral cancer is more likely to occur in those who have inherited gene abnormalities that cause numerous disorders in the body.
- Males are twice as likely as females to develop oral cancer.
- UV light exposure. People who spend a lot of time in the sun or go to tanning salons are more prone to acquire mouth cancer.
What Makes an Oral Cancer Screening So Important?
The primary goal of oral cancer screening is to detect and identify early symptoms of mouth and throat malignancies. Early diagnosis of pre-cancerous lesions is critical so that the cancer cells may be eradicated before they spread to other regions of the body. Early detection of this disease improves the chances of successful therapy. While everyone's risk of having oral cancer differs, everyone should have an annual oral cancer screening. During a dental appointment, this should be done by a skilled dental health care provider.
Where to Get an Oral Cancer Screening in Aventura
When you notice any symptoms, visit Oral Facial Reconstruction for an oral cancer screening in Aventura. Contact us for an appointment!