Sleep apnea in Pembroke Pines is a chronic condition in which you stop breathing repeatedly during the night. This dangerous disorder can not only impair the quality of your sleep, but it can also put you at risk for stroke and heart disease. When your airway becomes clogged during sleep, you may be suffering from obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
Causes of Sleep Apnea
- Hormone imbalances - Acromegaly (excess growth hormone) or hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) are hormonal diseases that might enhance the risk of OSA.
- Congestion in the nose - People who have difficulty breathing through their nose due to congestion are more likely to develop OS.
- Obesity - It is a primary cause of OSA and may be an underlying risk factor. Obesity causes structural narrowing of the airway, and studies show that approximately a ten percent increase in weight can result in a six-fold rise in OSA risk.
- Sleeping on your back - Tissue easily collapses around the airway in this sleeping position, causing obstructions.
- Smoking cigarettes - People who smoke, particularly heavy smokers, have been observed to have a higher rate of OSA than nonsmokers.
- Family History - People with OSA are more likely to experience it themselves if they have one or more close relatives who have it.
- Use of Sedatives - The tissue in your throat can relax due to sedative medications and substances, making it more straightforward for the airway to become clogged.
- Characteristics of anatomy - Airflow is directly affected by the size and location of your tonsils, tongue, jaw, neck, and other tissues in the back of the throat.
Where Can You Get Treatment for Sleep Apnea in Pembroke Pines?
Knowing as much as possible about your health will assist you in making informed lifestyle and treatment decisions. Oral Facial Reconstruction can provide you with the treatment you prefer. Contact us today!