An oral surgeon in Coral Springs is one who is dedicated to intervening in those afflictions related not only to the mouth and jaw but also related to areas such as the head, neck, and face. For this reason, it’s important to know what their functions are, and what exactly makes oral surgeons different from other specialists. Let's take a look.
What Sets Oral Surgeons Apart?
Only oral surgeons have the essential training to handle complex dental situations, despite the fact that standard medical doctors and dentists have the licensing, expertise, and skills required to treat patients for a variety of ailments. They focus on the diagnosis and treatment of wounds, illnesses, and other problems of the maxillofacial area.
Which Conditions Should Be Exclusively Treated by Oral Surgeons?
Only oral surgeons with substantial education, training, and surgical experience should carry out treatments such as:
- Recognizing and treating diseases like TMD that cause facial pain (temporomandibular joint disorder).
- Identifying the condition and doing surgery to correct obstructive sleep apnea.
- Performing a surgical reconstruction of the jaw's deficient bone structure.
- Performing cosmetic facial surgery for aesthetic or other purposes.
- Diagnosing and treating mouth cancer and other disorders in the maxillofacial region.
- Treating patients with jaw tumors and cysts.
- Difficult tooth extractions, such as the removal of impacted teeth like wisdom teeth.
- Replacing one or more teeth, performing an evaluation, determining a course of treatment, and affixing dental implants.
Do They Team Up with Other Specialists?
To create more thorough treatment regimens for their patients, oral surgeons frequently collaborate with traditional dentists and orthodontists. For procedures like wisdom tooth extraction, placement of dental implants, bone transplants inside the jaw, and the correction of dental abnormalities, a primary dentist typically refers patients to an oral surgeon.
Need an Oral Surgeon in Coral Springs?
Knowing the difference between the different types of specialists and how they can help you is essential when preparing for your next visit. To know more about this or to schedule a visit, call us now at Oral Facial Reconstruction and we will help you!