Oral cancer affects an increasing number of people each year. What's alarming is that only a small percentage of the population is aware of their oral cancer condition, and even fewer individuals take their dental health seriously. As a result, if you think you have oral cancer, don't wait to schedule an oral cancer screening in Pembroke Pines with your dentist. Here's everything you need to know about oral cancer.
Symptoms, Stages, and Diagnosis of Oral Cancer
The majority of oral cancer symptoms are misdiagnosed as other dental disorders, and symptoms do not always appear. Nonetheless, here are the oral cancer symptoms you need to watch out for.
- Persistent sore throat and mouth sore
- Chronic mouth pain
- Red or white spots on the tonsil, tongue, lining, or gums
- Abnormal growth in the form of cysts or lumps
- Thickening of the lining of your cheeks
Just like any other type of cancer, oral cancer is divided into three stages based on the TNM staging system:
- “T” indicates the tumor size
- “N” indicates if the tumor has disseminated to your lymph nodes.
- “M” indicates if the tumor has disseminated to other parts of your body.
Oral cancer is detected using a screening procedure. It can help detect pre-cancerous lesions in the mouth, but most oral cancers are discovered after a patient develops symptoms. A physical exam that checks your mouth, neck, and head is required for oral cancer screening. To determine whether the cells retrieved from the sample are malignant, biopsies and imaging tests will be done.
Where to Have Your Oral Cancer Screening in Pembroke Pines
If you notice any abnormalities around your oral and maxillofacial areas, it’s best to undergo an oral cancer screening. Please contact us today to schedule an appointment.